Friday, July 6, 2012

Take This Waltz

A few weeks ago I went to see Take This Waltz and since then I have been trying to figure out whether or not I liked it, loathed it or just maybe loved it.

The film is about Margo (Michelle Williams), who upon meeting a handsome neighbour starts to question her comfortable existence.  I'm very easily won over by self indulgent movies and this one has a very Sofia Coppola feel to it*. It threatens to question the idea of taking chances vs playing it safe, however like Williams's Blue Valentine it feels a little watered down.

It does have a great cast, with Seth Rogen (Husband), Luke Kirby (Handsome man) and Sarah Silverman (Best Friend) rounding out the mains. Rogen and Silverman are particularly lovely, and I would have preferred to watch the film from their perspective.

I think my issues with the movie are due to the fact that Margo is a very unlikeable character, by the end I was rooting for her to fail.

I really did love parts of this movie.

There is a wonderful version of Leonard Cohen's Closing Time, accompanied by dancing and vintage dresses.



Maybe I was wanting too much? Maybe I've just become a cynical movie goer? Maybe it was just crappy?

My favourite beard loving movie critic David had this to say about it:

 "it does have these sort of rather strange and seemingly slightly clunky elements of coincidence and contrivance and what have you, but it seemed to me that maybe it's a little bit like a Leonard Cohen song"

I do love Leonard but I just don't know about this.


* meaning RIDICULOUSLY self indulgent 

No comments:

Post a Comment